Sunday, July 21, 2013

Baby's an early bird-- update

Like I said in my last post, the morning my parents left my water unexpectedly broke!  I was shocked and confused since I was only 34w 2d and by no means "prepared"!  It was all a bit overwhelming at the time but at this point we are all doing really well, baby still in my belly!  They have planned to induce labor on Tuesday July 23rd.  I just wanted to do this blog for anyone who was wondering what was going on with us over here in Australia.  I am mostly just copying an email Brian sent to family and friends (his email was much more articulate than my crazy explanation!)

"July 11:
Just an update from us in the hospital:
The doctors are happy w/ the condition of the baby, and have decided to hold off on the birth for the near term if things continue as is, so I guess we’re in a bit of a holding pattern.  The nurses are coming in about every 2-4 hrs to monitor the baby’s heartbeat and movement.  Additionally, Erin’s being monitored for any sign of distress (blood pressure, pulse, temp, sign of infection, etc).  She’s taking a regular dose of erythromycin to help w/ managing potential for bacteria infection (and also there’s apparently been a study that suggests this med can potentially help defer labor for awhile, which is a nice benefit in this case).  So far so good. 
It’s been explained to us that we’re in a bit of a “risk / benefit” monitoring situation.  On one hand, there is additional risk associated w/ infection to the baby and Erin once the embryonic membrane has ruptured… but at the same time there’s the benefit of allowing the baby a few more days or weeks to further develop in the womb and be a bit better prepared for the world outside.  The baby at 34 wks may have a bit of trouble feeding and regulating his body temp, and will become better able to do these things in another week or so.  The doctors have said at 36wks, these concerns are likely diminished, so have kind of established 36 wk term as the target for inducing labor.  After the 36 wk mark, it seems that the added benefit of leaving the baby in the womb is nil, while the risk for infection remains, so would then prefer to introduce the baby to the world outside.
For the time being, Erin and I are just hanging out in the hospital.  The staff here have been quite accommodating, and yesterday moved us into a private, newly renovated room w/ a double bed and TV / internet.  I’m set up w/ my work laptop at a small desk and manage to get a bit of work done from time to time, and Erin’s keeping busy growing our baby and reading and doing a few other various this and that’s.  I’m going back to the house from time to time to take care of the dog and a few other domestic chores.
All and all, everyone is doing quite well.  "

On Monday July 15th they allowed me to go home to relax.  It has been VERY nice being home.  I got to pack a bag, organize the nursery, spend time cuddling with Brody and cook some pre-made meals for the weeks after baby. Brian has been amazing and has done almost ALL the cleaning and errands plus working from home full time during the week.  


We are so excited for the arrival of our sweet baby boy! 

XOXO 


36 weeks -- 2 days before getting induced

my favorite lil visitors, Indi and Max


1 comment:

  1. From Mom...great update. Can't wait to hear something!!!!

    ReplyDelete